New and refurbished ideas for LDS Primary Music Leaders (a.k.a. Primary Choristers)

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

OUT WITH THE OLD—IN WITH THE NEW

The clock tolls midnight.


It was bound to
happen sometime.

Yes, I am released from my calling as the
Primary Music Leader
in our ward—or at least I will be officially released this coming Sunday.

SIGH!!!

I have known that I was going to be released since after our Primary program, and yes, I bawled and bawled when I first found out. You know, I thought I would be ready for it when it finally came, but I was quite surprised at how much I wasn't when it hit me that I wouldn't be teaching and singing with these kids anymore. I have grown quite attached to them over the years. It has been hard these past couple of months knowing my end was near and not saying anything and pretending with the children that everything was normal. But, maybe it was good too since it allowed it to sink in for me and get me use to the upcoming change. As hard and time consuming as this calling can be, I have to say, I have reaped many blessings from it and have loved working with my Primary children and have not regretted one moment of this calling.

So now as we leave the old year behind us, so do I take my leave from this calling. The new music leader has so many musical talents she brings with her that I'm sure will be a treat for the children. 

Now, what am I to do with this blog, you may ask?

Well, I still have many things I have done from past years that I have yet to post, so I am still planning on keeping this blog active for now in hopes to get them posted. I have also wanted to post more helpful tips that I have learned over the years that I have never seemed to find time to post with all the current stuff to do for each week, so maybe I'll find some time now to share them.  Also, I had started brain storming and planning for 2013 last fall and had some ideas, so maybe if time permits, I might be able to get some of them posted as well.

I am jealous of you all that get to continue on as music leader. I was so looking forward to this year since my kids knew or were fairly familiar with the songs for the 2013 program, so I was excited at the prospect of having more time to teach some other new songs this year. So, enjoy the year and I hope to still hear from you on how things are going.

Happy singing in 2013!




14 comments:

  1. I've enjoyed your blog and found it helpful. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh NO now what am I going to do? Okay I guess I'll survive. I have really loved this blog and will continue to look through some of your older posts for ideas. Thank you so much for all the time and effort you have put in not only making your calling better but helping us to make ours better as well. <3 Looking forward to any tips you have.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to miss your posts so much!! I can't believe there won't be any more of your amazing ideas showing up. Thank you so much for everything you have done to help all of us. You are truly amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your blog has been such a help to me! Thanks for all the time you spent giving ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am going to cry...please know you have helped me so much!! Please dont forget us!!!! Thank you a million times over!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the time you spent doing this blog!! I would have been lost with out you. Your willingness to give of your time in this way has helped me so much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. BREAK MY HEART! This is my all time favorite primary chorister blog! Glad you will still be posting from time to time! :) Thanks for all your hard work & sharing with us!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nalani, I'm so proud of you and how you have been so dedicated to your calling as the ward's Primary Music Leader! Your efforts and hard work in preparing for each week's music time has created an environment where the Spirit has been very strong, not only at Primary but also at home. It's been a true joy hearing you sing with the children in Primary, at home, in the car while traveling, and yes, even in your sleep. I couldn't have a better wife! I love you!

    Jerry

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for sharing all your ideas with us. It has been much appreciated! And good luck in your next adventure! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't believe how sad I am! This is my VERY FAVORITE primary music blog. You have blessed my primary children so much through your ideas. Thank you so much for sharing them! Now I just have to figure more blogs to stalk for brilliant ideas. I have yet to find one as great as yours though. :) Best wishes in your new calling.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have LOVED this blog and it has really helped me. I guess I thought we would be released at the same time. Not sure how this happened. Thanks for all the ideas!! I will miss you. Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nalani, your blog has been my go-to for brilliant and fun ideas. ("No, no, no! Please don't go!" keeps running through my head, distracting me as I try to express my appreciation to you). I love your flip charts because of the high-quality, wonderful pictures you select and you are oh-so clever! Your melody maps were really unique and several of my 70+ kids were very interested in the musical aspects beyond simply learning the words. (They learned all 3 verses of CTR, by the way). As I look through my folders and files (started with one small folder), so much of my material has come from you. Thank you for sharing your different teaching methods and talking me through some of your ideas. Please continue to share your streaks of brilliance with us. I love your witty sense of humor in your blog comments and hope to see more.

    Fondly,
    Allison

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you all for the sweet comments here and the ones from those who emailed to me. I truly appreciate them. The love and appreciation I have received from all your comments have really helped to keep me going on this blog through the year especially when things would get crazy busy in my life. I sure hope I can continue to post. Thanks to you all for all your support.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am so sad to see you released because your blog is my favorite "go-to" for my Primary music calling. My daughter and I both have the same calling in different wards and whenever we weren't sure what we would be doing that week, invariably one of us would say to the other, "have you checked the leafy treetops blog yet this week?" The ideas and pictures and flipcharts you have produced were always head and shoulders above many others' in quality. Please continue to post ideas whenever you can find the time and good luck in your new calling. May the Lord bless you for all you have done for others through your blog.

    ReplyDelete